Shoutbox questions

Current Version: 1.0.6
Released: 09.01.10
Forum rules
Before creating a new support thread, please take a look in the board3 Portal FAQ and use the search!
Many questions have already been answered.

Topic author
MichielM

Shoutbox questions

Post by MichielM »

Your Portal Version: v1.0.1
Your phpBB Type: Standard phpBB3
MODs installed: Yes
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge
Boardlink: http://www.lentenieren.nl

PHP Version: 5.2.6
MySQL Version: client version: 5.0.32

What have you done before the problem was there?
Installed phpbb 3.0.2, added mod 'add newuser', then installed portal v1.0.1, then changed redirects so that after login/logout the default page is portal.php instead of index.php.
Then installed (tried to install) paul's shoutbox: Version= ajax_shoutbox1.0.3a.

What have you already tryed to solve the problem?
searched my ass off.

Description and Message
I am not able to get paul's shoutbox running. (I installed version 1.0.3a.). The installation went fine but the shoutbox does not appear anywhere on my board.
Also no shoutbox options appear in my acp, which is not all that strange since no acp folders/files are present in the downloaded shoutboxzip-file.
From all the reading that I did it seems that version 1.0.3a. is not fit to run with phpbb 3.0.2.
In another post (here:>> viewtopic.php?f=8&t=826) my impression is that
ajax shoutbox 1.2 RC1 is the one that does work.

My questions: should I install 1.2RC? if so then WHERE DO I FIND IT?

If running paul's shoutbox is a bad idea to begin with then feel free to tell me so.
The alternative would be Handymans chat/shout-pack but what I like about paul's shoutbox is that there is an option for an extended forum view of the shoutbox. I am not clear if handyman's mod has that same option.

Please advise...lol.
Thx so far! Greetings, Michiel

thomas.d
Former Team Member
phpBB.de User: thomas.d
phpBB.com User: thomas.d

Re: Shoutbox questions

Post by thomas.d »

Hi Michiel,
MichielM wrote:... My questions: should I install 1.2RC? if so then WHERE DO I FIND IT?
Good question ... ;)

As a matter of fact, Paul's mod is discontinued. Maybe it won't work with future versions of phpBB3.

In case you decide to install it though, I could send you the original zip.
Viele Grüße

Thomas

Deutsche Sprachdateien für
[Alpha] phpBB Calendar 0.0.8 (alightner) | [RC] phpBB Arcade 1.0.RC8 |
ACP Add User MOD 1.0.0 |

Topic author
MichielM

Re: Shoutbox questions

Post by MichielM »

Hello Tomas,

first: Thanks for replying.

Yes Paul abandoned his mod, *schade*! But I think I can understand him a bit.

In te meantime I installed handyman's chat/shout on the production site out of frustration but - like I said- I have always preferred Paul's approach.
Well..that is an interesting remark you make: will it work in the future... hmm I didn't think of that...
It's a good point and I am willing to take the risk, soww yes! I would gladly receive the mod from you.
You know I sometimes think that in theory every mod we install can become an obstacle when a new/better/safer core-release hits the public.
So yeah send it over Thomas, my emailadress is valid so your message will not end up in a spam box along the way.
Thanks for your trouble! Greetings, Michiel

Return to “board3 Portal 1.0.x - English Support”