Milky Way

Current Version: 1.0.6
Released: 09.01.10
Forum rules
Before creating a new support thread, please take a look in the board3 Portal FAQ and use the search!
Many questions have already been answered.

Topic author
Chayil

Milky Way

Post by Chayil »

:D

Yee haw! I've got the portal up and running; however, I have a slight problem and, as I am ignorant of a few things, I don't know how to fix it.

1) There is a portal with the Milky Way.

http://www.yahuahreigns.com/forum/portal.php

If I go to the forum, there is nowhere to choose "portal" to go back to the portal. Do I seek your assistance or the developer of Milky Way?

2) I would like to have it load the portal first at our forum link so no one has to change their bookmarks; i.e. http://www.yahuahreigns.com/forum

I think that I have to use the htaccess in order to do that, but I cannot find htaccess. Where do I look? I use LeapFTP

Thanks!

~chayil

thomas.d
Former Team Member
phpBB.de User: thomas.d
phpBB.com User: thomas.d

Re: Milky Way

Post by thomas.d »

Hi Chayil,

1. Did you make the edits as described in /templates/subsilver2.xml (which you'll find in the portal-zip)?

2. go and check your LeapFTP-programm to display "dot-files" (files with a "dot" as the first character like ".htaccess"
Viele Grüße

Thomas

Deutsche Sprachdateien für
[Alpha] phpBB Calendar 0.0.8 (alightner) | [RC] phpBB Arcade 1.0.RC8 |
ACP Add User MOD 1.0.0 |

Topic author
Chayil

Post by Chayil »

thomas.d wrote:Hi Chayil,

1. Did you make the edits as described in /templates/subsilver2.xml (which you'll find in the portal-zip)?

2. go and check your LeapFTP-programm to display "dot-files" (files with a "dot" as the first character like ".htaccess"
Greetings Thomas.d,

I did the best I could with the edits. Truthfully, some of the lines to find weren't there. So I wasn't really sure what to do in that case.... :roll:

I tried to locate the .htaccess like you said, not there in LeapFTP, Flash FXP, or Filezilla. There were other "dot" files that did show up, but no .htaccess. Of course, I am assuming it is in the directory:

http://www.mysite/forum

So then do I create an .htaccess?

Thanks,

~chayil

inikad

Post by inikad »

Sorry for my english, but I will try to give you my own experience when I installed portal on my forum.

AS Thomas said, don't forget to use "templates file", "subsilver2 install" in the board3portal_1_0_0_rc1 file because the main install file explains how to change with prosilver style, not with subsilver2 style.I made this error by using the wrong document to edit my style.

For the portal directory on board, you've got the same problem I had with my style: code is sometime a bit different so you can't find where to place a line code exactly.

Here is how I placed "<!-- IF not $S_IN_PORTAL or not S_DISPLAY_MAINMENU -->" in my own style overall Header (subsilver2 like with code differences too), line 155 for my style

Code: Select all

<td id="logorow" align="left"><div id="logotop">
		<a href={U_PORTAL}>{SITE_LOGO_IMG}</a>
	</div></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<!-- IF not $S_IN_PORTAL or not S_DISPLAY_MAINMENU -->
	<td class="navrow">
		<!-- IF not S_IS_BOT -->
			<!-- IF S_USER_LOGGED_IN --><a href="{U_PROFILE}">{L_PROFILE}</a> &#8226; <!-- ENDIF -->
			<!-- IF S_USER_LOGGED_IN -->
(I changed {U_index} to {U_PORTAL} to go back to portal with the banneer but you should find first one in your code)

Normally it's the same code after so you will find lines easily. Don't forget to edit breadcrumbs.html and overall footer too

htaccess is in the forum root so open the forum file and you will find it with include file, language, images, style...

You have to edit it like explained in the install main document :

I hope it will help you. :)

Topic author
Chayil

Post by Chayil »

Greetings,

First, I would like to say thanks for those that have tried to help. I really really appreciate it :P

Second, the portal is up and running. It looks great!

However, why can't I find the .htaccess? Truly, it's not there. Really. I looked and used different FTP programs. Other dot files are there, but no .htaccess. Promise!

And yes, I did use the template update for subsilver just like the directions said. Like I said before, I have one person using prosilver and the portal is there and works fine AND the button for the portal is operational in the prosilver template.

It's not there for Milky Way. :(

I tried to do exactly what you said to do, inikad, but it didn't work. BTW, your english is fine. You do better than some that have spoken it all their lives!

Would it help if I posted the code from my Milky Way templates? If so, which ones. I'm more than willing to do so.

Thanks and I hope everyone has a nice day,

~chayil
:D

Topic author
Chayil

Post by Chayil »

Greetings,

A programmer friend of mine from Chicago was in town over a few days. He took a look at the edits and low and behold - fixed them. He actually had to write in code and what not into the Milky Way theme and he explained how it works. So halleluyah for that.

Everything is fine now.

Thanks for all the help.

~chayil

Return to “board3 Portal 1.0.x - English Support”