Making a custom Board3 template?

Current Version: 1.0.6
Released: 09.01.10
Forum rules
Before creating a new support thread, please take a look in the board3 Portal FAQ and use the search!
Many questions have already been answered.

Topic author
Onetimer

Making a custom Board3 template?

Post by Onetimer »

First of all, thank you for this wonderful portal. You guys have truly done a great job on it. And that comes from someone who have looked at/used/modded most phpBB portals (at least 2.0x versions)!

I've done a few templates for phpBB2 based boards (some modded to work with a few portals). It's been a few years since last time but I think with some time and effort I could get one done for phpbb3/board3. Just a few questions;

1. Is the phpbb3 template design different from phpBB2 (at least in any significant way)?
- If so, what (in broad terms) is different?

2. Is the Board3 templates significantly different from phpBB3 templates?
- For example is it time consuming to convert one?

3. Is the template files being changed between RC1 and RC2 or, if you know already, the final version?
- If I make one now for RC1 will have to invest a lot of time to get it working with the next version?

Best regards,
1t'er

Forgoten Dynasty

Re: Making a custom Board3 template?

Post by Forgoten Dynasty »

ive been wanting to do this aswell

Topic author
Onetimer

Post by Onetimer »

Anybody?

I'm especially interested in question number 2!

Best regards,
1t'er

clyde4210

Post by clyde4210 »

i can say, if you atleast look at phpbb3 then you'll see that it's using tag words in html. instead of tpl files which was and is the best way to do things. this new stuff is pretty simple if you look at it. it uses alot of tags all calling from 1 main file which is shorter and easier. i am old school i prefer seeing an entire line of code aka tpl instead of a tag.

coppermine has been using this type of tagging for about a year now. pretty sure you could download any theme and see all the html files it's using and make a blank template out of it. same for the portal, look at it's folder within the styles folder for the blocks and such html.

if i was a designer i would probably jump into it but, i am more into learning php.

Kevin
Site Admin
phpBB.de User: Saint
phpBB.com User: Saint_hh

Post by Kevin »

Onetimer wrote:1. Is the phpbb3 template design different from phpBB2 (at least in any significant way)?
- If so, what (in broad terms) is different?
It is different, in special the prosilver theme. It don't use tables anymore (subsilver2 does).
Onetimer wrote:2. Is the Board3 templates significantly different from phpBB3 templates?
- For example is it time consuming to convert one?
No, at the moment we use the phpBB3 CSS and classes. I depends on the style you use. If it's very close to prosilver or subsilver, it won't be a big problem to adapt it. In most cases it will run straight ahead with the prosilver or subsilver2 portal files.
Onetimer wrote:3. Is the template files being changed between RC1 and RC2 or, if you know already, the final version?
- If I make one now for RC1 will have to invest a lot of time to get it working with the next version?
Yes. In the RC2 we'll work with a own CSS for the portal.
This could rise up the work to adapt it to other styles - but: it is much more flexible to fit it to your needs.
~~~ They say the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result ~~~

Kein Support per PN / No support via PM!

Topic author
Onetimer

Post by Onetimer »

Thanks guys!

I think I'll give this a simple try for RC1 and then see if it's worth converting to rc2 once that is out.

Best regards,
/1t'er

Return to “board3 Portal 1.0.x - English Support”